The equilibrium constant, Kc, for the following reaction is 0.0154 at a high temperature. A mixture in a container at this temperature has the concentrations: [H2] = 1.11 M, [I2] = 1.30 M and [HI] = 0.181 M. Which of the following statements concerning the reaction and the reaction quotient, Q, is true?

The equilibrium constant, Kc, for the following reaction is 0.0154 at a high temperature. A mixture in a container at this temperature has the concentrations: [H2] = 1.11 M, [I2] = 1.30 M and [HI] = 0.181 M. Which of the following statements concerning the reaction and the reaction quotient, Q, is true?


H2(g) + I2(g) 2HI(g)

a. Q = Kc
b. Q > Kc; more HI will be produced.
c. Q > Kc; more H2 and I2 will be produced.
d. Q < Kc; more HI will be produced.
e. Q < Kc; more H2 and I2 will be produced.


Answer: c. Q > Kc; more H2 and I2 will be produced.


Learn More :